City & State's 2020 Virtual Education in New York event will take what we have done for years with our in-person event and transform the program with new situations that have come out of COVID 19. It will offer industry executives, public sector leaders and academics the opportunity to share ideas and debate over critical issues such as remote learning, standardized testing, public school funding and more.
2020 Virtual Education NY Summit
Welcome and Introduction
One on One with Betty Rosa, Interim State Education Commissioner and Jon Lentz, Editor in Chief, City & State NY
Special Presentation By Samantha Lieberman, Regional Manager, Google for Education & Leighton Spencer, East Regional Manager, Google for Higher Education
Public School Education in a Post Covid World
Back in March when the Mayor shut down the largest public school system in the country, most were in favor due to fears of the virus spreading. However very quickly it became clear that this also served to highlight the equity and disparity issues in New York as it took some families weeks and even months to access technology which created a wider than normal learning gap. How can we avoid problems like this going forward? What does the Fall look like now given this year’s makeshift education and with the lack of standardized tests this year being considered? Some experts are calling for a hybrid of some sort. We’ll discuss the role of innovation, technological solutions, new trends and ideas, protection protocol, and remote learning. We discuss what can be expected for the 2020-21 school year.
- David Bain, Vice President for Academic Planning and Analytics, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Session Facilitator)
- Senator John C. Liu, Chairperson, Committee on New York City Education
- Senator Shelley Mayer, Chairperson, Committee on Education
- Council Member Mark Treyger, Chair, Committee on Education
- Michael Mulgrew, President, United Federation of Teachers
- Mark Cannizzaro, President, Council of School Supervisors & Administrators
- Tracy Waalkes, Account Executive, OverDrive Education
Special Presentation: Student Dashboard for Google Classroom: Improve Student Focus and Reduce Parent Frustration
Dave Barclay, Regional Sales Manager: Eastern Canada, Northeastern US & GCC, Hāpara
Higher Education Plans for New York
Since the beginning of the pandemic, universities and colleges have been worried about deep cuts to their academic programs, campuses and students. Issues that emerged as education went online go beyond simply ensuring laptops and internet access, as many students lost jobs, internships and housing. Hear about practical solutions to higher education technology problems and a community of tech leaders gathered to advance students’ learning experiences. What will Higher Education both in public and private universities look like in the Fall? How will admissions be altered for the incoming class without standardized tests or grades from the previous year? What will dorms, classes, security and activities look like?
- Council Member Inez Barron, Chair, Higher Education Committee (Session Facilitator)
- Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, Chair, Higher Education Committee
- William Murphy, Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education, NYS Education Department
- Dr. Catherine Collins, Board Member, NYS Education Department
- Noel Hara, Senior Director, Public Sector Strategy, NTT Data
- Marc Jerome, President, Monroe College
- Michael J. Smith, President, Berkeley College
- Scott Ready, Accessibility Evangelist & Senior Customer Service Manager, Verbit
Reimaging School in the Ongoing New Normal
K-12 and Higher Education leaders must safely teach and care for students during a global pandemic. Regular listening, learning and acting on how students, teachers, staff, and families are working and feeling in the ongoing new normal is critical. Enable school leaders and administrators to make informed decisions for when to reopen and close buildings, how to adjust school operations, and what changes must be made in real-time to keep your stakeholders safe.
- Jake Brown, AVP State, Local Government & Education, Qualtrics (Session Facilitator)
- Johan Starr, Instructional Technologist, NYU School of Law, Learning, Innovation & Design
- Dan Dickinson, Associate Director, IT Experience, Weill Cornell Medicine
Announcements & Closing Remarks