City & State’s Diversity Summit will offer industry executives, public sector leaders and academics the opportunity to share ideas about how to discuss how to foster business partnerships between the state and local government, prime contractors and MWBEs and what it takes to thrive in New York’s competitive procurement arena. The full-day event brings insights and perspectives across industries within New York’s diversity and inclusion initiatives and programs.
Diversity Summit & Awards
Registration & Networking Breakfast
Opening Keynote by New York Secretary of State Rossana Rosado with Introduction by Alana Cantillo, Director of Government Affairs, Charter Communications
What to Know About Doing Business in NY
This session will help firms expand their footprint with New York and network with other groups in support of NYS entities that have MWBE utilization goals. How are state agencies promoting new contracting opportunities as it relates to Article 15A? Which market sectors have the most opportunity for MWBE participation? Hear from professional services – including legal, accounting and financial, construction management and engineers, transportation suppliers, operations, facility management, emergency management and more.
- Sandra Wilkin, President and CEO, Bradford Construction (moderator)
- Senator James Sanders, Chair, NYS Senate Task Force on MWBE's
- Assemblywoman Rodneyse Bichotte, Chair, Subcommittee on Oversight of Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises
- Michael J. Garner, Chief Diversity Officer, Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Louis J. Coletti, President and CEO, Building Trades Employers' Association
- Lawrence Roman, Chief Executive Officer, WDF Inc.
- Ben Neidl, Principal, Jackson Lewis
Panel Introduction by Vanya Quiñones, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, Pace University
Executive Leader’s Roundtable: Opportunities and Tips for MWBEs
New York City and New York State Agency Heads and Commissioners and business leaders discuss opportunities for MWBEs and increasing capacity for MWBEs to participate In New York’s public projects.
- Madina Toure, New York City reporter, POLITICO New York (moderator)
- Jonnel Doris, Senior Advisor and Director, Mayor's Office M/WBE
- Gerrard P. Bushell, President & CEO, DASNY (Dormitory Authority State of New York)
- Michael Massiah, Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, The Port Authority of NY & NJ
- Gregg Bishop, Commissioner, NYC Department of Small Business Services
- Lisette Camilo, Commissioner, NYC Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services
- Charles Archer, CEO, The Thrive Network
Lunch Awards Ceremony Honoring:
- Michele Arbeeny, Partner, Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP
- Heide Gardner, Senior Vice President, Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Interpublic Group
- Dr. David Rock, CEO, NeuroLeadership Institute
- Damian Smith, Chief Diversity Officer, Societe Generale Corporate and Investment Banking
Agency Compliance- Understanding the Government’s Perspective and What it Takes to Getting Contracts Approved
Procurement officers from various MWBE’s government agencies will explain the complexity of RFPs, provide information on best practices for proposals, and address ways to avoid common pitfalls during your bid/no-bid decision making process.
- Jim Quent, Partner, Statewide Public Affairs, Inc. (moderator)
- Suzanne Veira, Chief Diversity Officer & Senior Director, NYC School Construction Authority
- Sean Carroll, Chief Procurement Officer, New York State Office of General Services
- Nancy Carolan, Assistant Commissioner, Agency Chief Contracting Officer, NYC Department of Transportation
- David Ross, Chief Procurement Officer, MTA Business Service Center
- Rachel Miller, Associate Commissioner and Agency Chief Contracting Officer, NYC Administration for Children's Services
Creating A Culture of Belonging, Inclusion and Diversity
New York City is well known for its recruitment diversity, representing all races, genders, religions and more. Organizations all stand to benefit from advancing diversity and inclusion as a strategy to remain competitive. City & State convenes a panel of experts sharing strategies on creating a culture diversity and best practices to help NY flourish on many levels.
- Jean Lee, President & CEO, Minority Corporate Counsel Association (moderator)
- Magalie D. Austin, Esq., Chief Diversity and Industry Relations Officer, NYC Department of Design + Construction
- Yvonne Soto, Executive Director, Office of Organizational Development, NYC Department of Education
- Kristin Malek, Senior Manager, Supplier Diversity, CDW
- Rumbi Bwerinofa-Petrozzello, Principal, Rock Forensics, LLC
Funding Options and Services for Small Business
Industry experts discuss funding opportunities and requirements related to the various state financing programs for MWBEs including loans, bonding and tax incentives. Experts will discuss ways New York can help your business and its growth as well as other resources for smaller entities.
- Rebecca C. Lewis, Editorial Assistant, City & State NY (moderator)
- Council Member Mark Gjonaj, Chair, Committee on Small Business
- Rachel Van Tosh, Deputy Commissioner of the Division of Business Services, NYC Department of Small Business Services
- Claudia Flores, Assistant Vice President, Opportunity M/W/DBE & HireNYC, New York City Economic Development Corporation